Introducing One Os: The easiest and most usable way to access any Blockchain
Whether you are a trader specialized in the crypto world, a collector of NFTs, or if you manage a node, you are a blockchain validator or you develop software, you will agree that the usability of the applications you use in your day to day is a critical point for the management and security of your digital assets.
And it is that Blockchain technology comes with a strength and weakness at the same time: The custody of your keys and the immutability of the registry. This basically means that whether you lose your keys, make a wrong transaction or sign a multisig without understanding its content, it can lead to terrible consequences and great losses that cannot be reversed. For this reason, and after developing +30 projects and official wallets at Peersyst, we care a lot about clarity, usability and security for all software that uses blockchain.
Going deeper into harmony one
When we began to contribute to the Harmony One ecosystem, we started to see all the options offered by the technology as well as the applications that were available, both in wallets and in dApps. The first thing that surprised us is that in a blockchain that handles about 4M daily transactions at the time of this article, with more than 800k accounts and more than $2,000,000,000 of fully diluted marketcap, there was no solid, usable and scalable platform for all its holders, which would allow them not only to use their assets easily but also to have a clear vision and access to all their dApps.
With this problem not only present in Harmony, but in practically all blockchains, the idea of One OS was born. A layer on top of your device, be it desktop or mobile, that brings the usability and ease of traditional and modern software that most of the population is familiar with.
The problem of cross-chain wallets vs official wallets
In today’s blockchain landscape, there are hundreds or even thousands of cryptos and blockchains with wide acceptance and interest. Therefore, it is reasonable to think that not only 1 technology will triumph over the others and that, therefore, the future depends on interoperability between chains. Harmony knows this very well and for this reason it is a world leader in the development of bridges and tools that allow the different blockchains to be connected.
The problem is that being different blockchains, they also usually bring different native functionalities and are usually very heterogeneous between them. This makes standardization very difficult and therefore usability is affected, which means that a large number of the population cannot access this technology.
In the current scenario, there are two very marked options:
- Use Cross-Chain Wallets like Metamask: This option consists of using a single software that allows you to connect to multiple blockchains, providing an interface with what they have in common.
– You only have to save a private key once.
– You only have to download a single software.
– Allows you to connect a private key from a mnemonic and a hardware wallet.
-Terrible visualization of each blockchain.
– No native functionalities like «Sharding» included.
– Transactions completely impossible to read for a large inexperienced majority.
– External / community applications of the blockchain are not supported.
- Use official wallets: The solution to this is to create your own official wallet that suits your features.
– Native functionalities of each blockchain are added, such as «Sharding».A correct visualization of main transactions is given.
– Important external applications can be supported.
– A correct visualization of main transactions is given.
– New software needs to be downloaded for each blockchain.
– N private keys have to be stored for each blockchain.
– Each blockchain handles and loads keys differently > Difficult access / setup.
Our proposed solution: Cross-chain plugin-based platform
The idea is to enhance both the accessibility and usability of both solutions, decentralizing development and support through a plug-in system that allows everyone to contribute and collaborate in the same direction. For this, the following is established:
- Delegate the responsibility of cross-chain / keys management to «Metamask» and individually manage each blockchain.
- Connect the network to a platform, where all the applications and functionalities of the blockchain are collected.
- The platform can be powered by a plugin system, open to all communities.
- Blockchains can develop «core» or official software, and the community can support their dApps.
Product Research: Starting with the best of today
To meet this challenge, we did extensive research on the best applications, frameworks, dApps and technologies that we could find today, both in the blockchain world and outside of it, to try to create usable software for everyone. This was the result:
- UX research: https://www.figma.com/file/AVPRt9L04e2TJHFqSiOSx1/Arq%2F
- UI research: https://www.figma.com/file/KRaMDL8c9qdDaVfAVvTEgb/Peersyst-Moodboard?node-id=0%3A1
With this in mind, we began to pay close attention to Apple technology, since we considered that its usability and functionality were widely accepted, easy and familiar to a large part of the population. So, we started working on the following wireframes for the dApp launcher:
The wallet, even if it is just one more application, is the common entry point to manage the entire blockchain ecosystem. Thus, we must ensure that One OS has a wallet of the highest quality / usability.
It is of great importance that the wallet is cross-platform, that is, that it can be used both on mobile, web and desktop according to each one and their needs. We adapt the launcher as mobile applications.
We also need a marketplace, where all the community applications can be found, exposed and valued in an open, decentralized way and with reviews from other users to ensure their reliability and quality.
Finally, we decided to add the Macbook Spotlight for searches and plain text functionalities, to take a leap in the usability of blockchain:
One OS Brand: One software to rule them all
Finally, we needed a powerful, easy and clear brand for our product. We think of Harmony OS, due to its resemblance to an operating system over devices, but this name was already reserved by Huawei. So, we decided on One Os, clean, simple and with global usability.
Final Product: Putting all the pieces together
We applied the correct branding and UI to the previous wireframes to guarantee great usability, both for our software and for the new dApps that are included in the OS. We also decided to incorporate themes, so that the community can create, download and install their favorite display colors.
Easy to customize your wallet and your sections with «Drag and drop», since this software is of vital importance and used by and for everyone.
The vitally important cross-platform shows us what it would look like on mobile:
A marketplace where you can find and search for dApps, very similar to harmonyuniverse.one, but allowing you to install new dApps directly to One OS.
A spotlight that includes native features and efficient searches between apps and features
Finally, the inclusion of dApps. One OS is the reference platform if it includes support for multiple software. With our team, Peersyst can guarantee the development and access of the main fundamental applications of the ecosystem, such as the Wallet, the Marketplace, integration of the main Bridges, basic tools such as Staking or Multisig present in Harmony are also on our roadmap. Finally, tools to facilitate the development and deployment of Harmony to everyone, allowing access to the main standards, modification and deployment in a few clicks, as well as more advanced tools for testing and execution of contracts will be included.
Finally, we get the following final result: